Sunday 6 December 2015

Xmas protest; Construction; Our weather; And a golden oldie

XMAS PROTEST: Pontevedra's shopkeepers are up in arms against the city council because the Christmas lights haven't been put up yet. This can only be because these increase the foot traffic and, so, sales revenue. But I'm not sure why. Do people really go out to see the garish decorations? Or is it that they put shoppers in a happier, buy-more mood? I can only say for sure that they don't work on me.

CONSTRUCTION: The Faro de Vigo yesterday reported that building work is down 98% on 5 years ago. I'm tempted to say it's 200% down on 2007, when I could only see builders' cranes from my window on the city.

GLOBAL WARMING?: I'm still wearing my summer linen jacket and lunching outside at midday in my shirt sleeves. It's been like this for weeks now, giving me the feeling we've moved to Andalucia. Long may it continue. I will save on umbrellas.

PONTEVEDRA: A GOLDEN OLDIE: From 2004: After a visit to my bank today, I now know what tipped me into an overdraft. It was a bill from my local council for refuse services. As with the gas bill, this is normally sent to me in January or even February, a full 6 or 7 months after the provision of the service. So, simultaneously both the gas company and the local council have sharpened up their act. This is a bit of a shock to the system. Much more of this rampant efficiency and I will have to reconsider my decision to retire to Spain. I mean, I could get this sort of treatment anywhere.

FINALLY: Don't overlook my other blog – Thoughts from Galicia. Which I've just posted.



For the Pontevedra English Speaking Society, contact Dylan on 607 803 151or 986 861 070. Calle Echegaray 16 3D.

2 comments: